- Adapts almost any stereo microscope for fluorescence without modification
- Can be installed and removed in seconds
- Interchangeable excitation and emission sets to view many fluorophores
- Modular design and accessories makes system highly flexible
- An affordable solution for fluorescence on a budget
The NIGHTSEA Stereo Microscope Fluorescence Adapter is a complete solution to simply and affordably adapt almost any stereo microscope for viewing fluorescence. Requiring no modification to the microscope itself, a modular design allows different excitation/emission combinations to be quickly and easily switched. With six different excitation and emission combinations available, plus white light, NIGHTSEA can work with an extensive variety of fluorescent proteins and other fluorophores.
The NIGHTSEA Stereo Microscope Fluorescence Adapter consists of a simple set of modular parts which can be rapidly fitted, switched and removed. The entire system can be fitted in about 30 seconds to a stereo microscope. The Adapter system consists of the following parts:
- The NIGHTSEA Lamp Base with a flexible gooseneck and control circuitry, with power supply
- The NIGHTSEA Ring Adapter, which provides a mounting point for barrier filters, and can be fitted to almost any existing stereo microscope
- 1 of 6 interchangeable excitation light and emission filter sets, consisting of:
- A NIGHTSEA Light Head, which provides excitation light
- A NIGHTSEA Barrier Filter, to view fluorescence through the microscope
- A NIGHTSEA Filter Shield, for eye protection and enhanced viewing
NIGHTSEA offer 6 different excitation and emission combinations to enable the NIGHTSEA fluorescence system to be used to view a comprehensive range of fluorophores. The available fluorescence combinations are:
- Royal Blue (RB)
- Excitation 440-460nm
- Emission 500nm (longpass filter)
- Green Only (RB-GO)
- Excitation 440-460nm
- Emission 500-560nm (bandpass filter)
- Cyan (CY)
- Excitation 490-515nm
- Emission 550nm (longpass filter)
- Green (GR)
- Excitation 510-540nm
- Emission 600nm (longpass filter)
- Violet (VI)
- Excitation 400-415nm
- Emission 460nm (longpass filter)
- Ultraviolet (UV)
- Excitation 360-380nm
- Emission 415nm (longpass filter)
How the NIGHTSEA Stereo Microscope Fluorescence Adapter Works
The NIGHTSEA Light Base provides a sturdy base and flexible gooseneck to position the NIGHTSEA Light Head for optimal illumination. The Light Base also provides power for the Light Head via the gooseneck, and control of the light, with an on-off switch integrated into the base. Alternative bases with a dimmable switch (DIM) or computer controlled switch (PULSE) are also available.
The NIGHTSEA Ring Adapter attaches at the base of the microscope's objectives, where a ring light would attach, via quickly releasable thumb screws. It provides a mounting point for the interchangeable NIGHTSEA barrier filters and filter shields. The standard ring adapter will fit a microscope up to 68mm wide, and will fit almost any stereo microscope. Special adapters are available to fit oversize microscopes, or the Leica EZ4 series which requires an adapter with a special shape.
Each of the NIGHTSEA excitation light and emission filter sets are colour coded to make it simple and easy to match the correct excitation lights to their corresponding emission filters. Each of the lights and filters are quick and easy to change.
The NIGHTSEA Barrier Filter attaches over the microscope's objectives magnetically to the NIGHTSEA ring adapter, and blocks reflected excitation light and transmits only the fluorescence. This ensures only the fluorescing areas of interest will be visible. The magnetic attachment of the NIGHTSEA Barrier Filter makes it easy to switch between different excitation and emission combinations.
The NIGHTSEA Filter Shield attaches to the NIGHTSEA ring adapter to act as a viewing shield. This provides eye protection from the distracting, bright excitation light while manipulating samples, and also makes an excellent viewing aid to preview fluorescence without looking into the microscope directly. A simple thumbscrew attachment makes it quick and easy to swap or remove.
The NIGHTSEA Light Head attaches to the NIGHTSEA Base and provides excitation light for viewing fluorescence. A powerful LED provides excellent illumination of the subject. A simple connector system allows the NIGHTSEA Light Head to be quickly and easily changed to switch between different excitation and emission combinations.
NIGHTSEA Excitation Lights and Emission Filters Specifications
Colour Code Filter Set Excitation Emission Fluorophores Dark Blue Royal Blue (RB) 440 - 460 nm 500nm LP GFP, eGFP, fluorescein,... Purple with "GO" Green Only (GO) 440 - 460 nm 500 - 560 nm BP GFP, eGFP, fluorescein,... Light Blue Cyan (CY) 490 - 515 nm 550 nm LP YFP, Venus,... Green Green (GR) 510 - 540 nm 600 nm LP DsRed, dTomato,... Purple Violet (VI) 400 - 415 nm 460 nm LP CFP,... Purple/Black Ultraviolet (UV) 360 - 380 nm 415 nm LP CFP,...
Each NIGHTSEA filter set is available as a complete set, including excitation light head, barrier filter and filter shield in a protective case. Excitation light heads, barrier filters and filter shields are also all available individually.
NIGHTSEA Light Head & Base Specifications
- Light Base 11.7cm diameter x 4cm height
- Light Base Gooseneck 47cm length
- Light Head 2.5cm x 2.5cm x 6cm
- Weight 1.1kg with light head attached
- 110/220V, 50/60Hz, international plug set with power adapter
What customers think
I am very happy with the Nightsea, it serves its purpose for us well in genotyping/phenotyping Drosophila larvae expressing fluorescent proteins. A fraction of the cost of a conventional fluorescence dissecting microscope